Setting up your Instagram Business account is as easy as 1-2-3
Whether you love or loathe your personal use of social media, one thing remains the same: Instagram is one of the most compelling marketing tools for business. By the push of a button your business can use Instagram to grow your audience, engage with your followers, and seamlessly make money through these engagements.
So, want to get in on the action and start growing your numbers and conversions?
What’s the difference between a personal and business profile?
A business profile has features you don’t get through a personal profile, these include:
- the ability to connect your online store and sell through Instagram
- access to Insights to measure your engagement, trends, conversions, profile visits, etc.
- access to Instagram ads and the ability to promote your posts
- the ability to set up quick replies for your DMs
If you don’t have one yet, here’s how to set up an Instagram account
If you have an existing account on Instagram, you can convert your personal profile to a business account easily – and we will explain how shortly – but for those who are early players in this game, let’s start from the beginning:
- Download the Instagram app on your phone and click ‘sign up’.
- For your profile, you will be asked to create a username with the familiar “@” symbol found in other networks. If you already have other social media accounts set up (e.g. Twitter, TikTok, Snapchat and Facebook, etc.), try to use the same or a similar username so that your profiles are easy to find across them all.
How to convert your personal profile to a business account
Next step (and hey existing users we’re talking to you too now!), is to make sure you correctly identify your account as a business account. You can do this by following these steps:
- Go to your profile and tap the hamburger menu in the upper right corner
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Account.
- Tap Switch to Professional Account.
- Tap Business.
- At this point, you can also follow the steps to connect your professional account to a Facebook Page associated with your business. You will be guided through this in the app but this step is optional. However it will make it easier to use all the features available to businesses between Facebook and Instagram.
- Add details, like your business category and contact information. Don’t forget your website at this stage too.
- Tap ‘Done‘ and pour yourself a big glass of bubbly!
Once you have set up your profile as a Business account, triple check your contact details and information from your profile view. You want to make sure followers can easily get in touch with you.
Finally, pick a high-quality photo for your profile image, ideally your logo, brand colours or something that is distinctive to you. Your Instagram profile image sits best at 110×110 pixels.